Monday 13 October 2014

Yesterday’s Hero Can Return Today


Don't know about you but I still feel like I did when I was in my 20s, it’s just when I look in the mirror reality hits back.

For some of us, it’s when you start to play with the grandkids and the following day you can’t move or playing with them is just not an option any more. That’s when your body reminds you that you are not as young as you used to be. So is this it? Is this what we are happy to live with? We are old and we have to act old?

No, I say, stepping down from my soap box and getting a little less dramatic.

I work with chronically ill people with chronic heart and lung disease and I can tell you now we all benefit from regular exercise.

Whether it’s a knee, hip replacement, chronic disease or you just haven’t moved for a while, you can and will benefit from regular exercise.

Now I am not suggesting a marathon nor am I saying to get those footy shorts or netball skirt out from mothballs. I’m suggesting exercise suitable for you at a pace you can manage and slowly improve on. Yes, you do have to consult your doctor first, but once you have the all clear there is a plethora of choices in fitness classes and programs you can choose from nowadays.

So for those of you who have fitness facilities at work, start today not Monday, today.

Engage a personal trainer, walk in the pool or on the treadmill. Ten minutes of exercise today was more than what you did yesterday. Most of you will be goal-orientated so set a goal i.e. (an easy one first) I am going to be able to walk up the stairs without having to talk in sign for a month. Work out with a friend, and motivate each other. Make a challenge at work or with a group of friends to be fitter, healthier and slimmer. Celebrate the positives of “dropped two sizes in clothing” etc. These challenges work as a starter, but for any long-term fitness program to work it has to be maintained.

Remember, to put more quality in your life it’s a full-time commitment. For those who are saying I can’t because I have chronic back problems, joint replacements etc., my answer is yes, you can. There are so many exercise choices you can access nowadays. Ask your doctor for advice on the nearest Heartmoves, Lungs in Action, Vietnam Vets, Lift for Life program near you. So what are you waiting for? There are places to see, golf courses to play and life to be lived … as the Nike brand says ‘Just do it!’

Dolphins Health Precinct has a wide variety of classes suitable for over 50s. Call in for more information today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.