Wednesday 20 February 2013

Member Story - Wendy Burke

Before and after photos of Wendy

Another very inspirational Member story:

“I am over 40 years of age and have struggled with my weight of at least 25 of those years. Some of my earliest childhood memories are comments from well meaning adults about my size, such as; “she’s been on a good paddock”, “she’s got good condition”, “what a butterball”, “such a pretty face-hopefully she will lose that chubbiness” etc.

Being the fat kid at school, I am sure the only thing that saved me from relentless teasing was that I attended a small country high school. There was a very big socio economic spread so there were a lot of different personalities with different backgrounds – not many “normals”.

In my twenties I had enough and embarked on a weight loss regime that involved mostly running and some diet modification. I lost about 15kgs and it stayed off for a number of years, but it was not a complete lifestyle program. I had also not prepared myself for the physiological change that weight loss brings.

I had another crack in my 20’s that was a bit more successful- the weight stayed off for around 6 years but again, involved a crazy amount of exercise (all cardio) but little diet modification. I started to get pain in my knees and met my future husband pretty much at the same time. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees so used this as an excuse to give up running and playing soccer whilst doing all those things you do when you are first in love-go out to dinner, go out to drinks, go out for breakfast, spend hours talking, sleeping in-you get the idea. Consequently I gained 20kg in one year. When I got pregnant I gained even more.

I was a large size 20 about 5 months after my first son was born and I utterly detested myself. I wanted to make changes and wanted to be a healthy example to my son. I joined a gym and started training with Ange and began learning about training properly with arthritis and about the impact of good nutrition. I lost about 25kg and discovered a love of nutrition so started studying it at college.

After having my second son I realised keeping up with kids is hard work and I have found now that I am more patient and a lot more active with them. I have the stamina at the end of the day to still be smiling and playing with them and not plonking them in front of the television because I’m tired. Beyond the physical changes to my body, I have proven to myself that I have the discipline, determination and persistence to succeed in whatever I want to pursue.”

- Wendy Burke

(Personal Trainer: Angela Mitrovic)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.